Introduction to Bonsai
This 4 hour class will focus on care and maintenance of bonsai trees. You will learn all the basics of bonsai design, such as pruning, wiring, media and transplanting. You will also learn how to select a tree from the wild and discover what the art of bonsai is all about as you create your very own bonsai to take home. This class includes all materials and instruction by Dewa JJ.
*The cost of this workshop is US$85 which includes all materials & lunch.
Intermediate Bonsai Class
In this 6 hour class you will learn how to develop and train your bonsai tree over the years. You will learn at you own pace, according to what your bonsai needs.
Through personalized instruction and expert guidance, you will become more confident with your bonsai skills and be able to continue cultivating beautiful bonsais on your own.
*The cost of this Workshop is US$125 which includes all materials & lunch.
Bonsai Advanced Intensives
Are you obsessed with bonsais? Do you feel like you just can’t get enough of learning and exploring new ways to create these exquisite trees? Come spend two days of intensive and fun learning with Dewa JJ. These classes are only open to students who have taken our Introduction and Intermediate classes or can demonstrate a basic understanding of the art.
Each class is an all day, focused learning experience divided into two sessions: (Saturday from 10 am to 5 pm & Sunday from 10 am to 5 pm). You will receive personalized instruction and hands on practice with a wide variety of innovative styles which you can experiment with.
This event is a two day immersion in the art of bonsai which is focused on improving both your mechanical skills and your artistic eye. Participants must be equipped with proper bonsai tools and your own bonsais for practice. Wire & media will be provided. Sessions consist of hands on work (sometimes on your trees and sometimes on ours) plus demonstration, videos and discussion. A simple Indonesian lunch for both days will also be provided.
Topics will include but are not limited to:
- Advanced wiring – You will learn more about advanced wiring techniques such as using guy wires, raffia use, rebar and other wiring shortcuts.
- Advanced Styling – You will learn new creative ways that can be applied to keep your tree looking great including planting angle changes, heavy bending, shortening the tree and other tricks.
- Tree and Pot selection – You will discover unique ways to create interesting aesthetics in pot selection for different types of trees
- Stands and Display – You will learn more about how stands can compliment your bonsai trees and which companion plants to select.
- Pests and Fungi – We will go into depth on proactive prevention of pests and fungus control and what to do for active infestations
- BYOT – We will have time during each session to work out problems and questions about your own trees and apply what we learn over the 2 day class.
*The cost for 2 day Bonsai Intensive is US$225. This includes lunch & all materials.